The History of Klein Steel
One day in 1970, a Rochester scrap dealer by the name of Arnold Klein forgot to lower the arms of his truck's rear-mounted loader after making a pickup.
Then, to his surprise, he drove into Rochester’s Culver Road railroad bridge. The resulting damage was minor but required replacing a bent piece of steel channel on his truck.
Arnold went to every steel distributor in town, only to discover that there was no six-inch 18# ship and car channel to be had. To add insult to injury, not one of these dealers was even willing to bother with such a small custom order. Arnold soon realized that the seed of opportunity was waiting to be planted.
Seeing the need for a steel wholesaler that would service customers of ALL sizes and needs, Arnold Klein and his brother Chuck opened Klein Steel Service a year later.
From a start-up inventory of only three truckloads of steel housed in a three-garage "warehouse,” Klein Steel Service has grown into four locations in Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse, featuring –
- 4 warehouses with 360,000 square feet of facilities
- World-class, state-of-the-art metal distribution and processing equipment
- 12,000+ tons of inventory
- Advanced “Center of Excellence” processing facility
- Over 2,400 customers in Western and Central New York, the Southern Tier, Northern Pennsylvania, and across the country
- Putting the customer first with fast, friendly, dependable service
- Stocking the most extensive inventory
- Employing people with the strength of steel who deliver more to you
- Treating the customer – no matter how small or large the order – with utmost respect